Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tricks of the Trade

Ideally, there would be a 1:1 ratio of responsible adults to babies at all times. 

Since that is not the case, we are required to be a little creative...
 
1. Rocking baby = easy. Rocking baby x 2 = not as easy. Despite how many times I've tried to explain to the boys that our #1 household rule is that they are NOT allowed to cry at the same time -  they don't always listen. This oversized comfy rocking chair and ottoman serves as the easiest way we've found to trick the boys into thinking they're actually being held and rocked at the same time. MUCH easier than trying to wrangle two in your arms at the same time. I tell myself it will be easier once they can hold their heads better but by that time they'll be so darn heavy it won't work either!


2. Feeding baby = easy. Feeding baby x2 = not as easy! After only a few nights in the NICU nursing them separately (and spending 1 1/2 - 2 hours each time doing so) I quickly learned to feed them at the same time. Tanja plans to bottle feed them one at a time if at all possible when I go back to work. But once again - they are sometimes hungry at the exact same time (with not even seconds to spare!) People seem surprised that I nurse them at the same time - but I've tried it with bottles at the same time and think that is much harder!!


3. Need a free hand with 1 baby = easy! Need a free hand with two = not as easy. Let's say by chance that I ordered something online. When the UPS man arrives I have to be ready to answer the door. Even though it's not obvious I actually do have a free hand in this situation.

PS - don't be fooled by the title of this post. I am NOT an expert!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...