Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nordic Mess 2011

I have a few iphone camera shots highlighting our short trip back to D-town for Nordic Fest. The boys could pass for 100% Norwegian with their blonde hair and blue eyes, despite their mix. Ben's side is German and I think my dad is 25% Norwegian so that would make the boys.....no idea. Maybe in my free time I'll spend some time on ancestry.com. Maybe not.


The festing began with the early morning 5k Elvelopet race with my sista, the exercise fanatic. She even let me keep up with her. It was so much fun running with her. Immediately after the race she promised to move as close as she possibly could to ME so we could run together all the time! How exciting!




This picture was even taken after the race. Proof that I survived!


The best part about the 5k is that the race ends right near the fire station where there's an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast. And, if you've read this blog before you know that this family worships pancake breakfasts.





Anyway, Prior and Mason had their first bites of lefse this year - pretty exciting! For those of you that don't know what lefse is, here's how wikipedia defines lefse: 


Lefse is a traditional soft, Norwegian flatbread. Lefse is made out of potatomilk or cream (or sometimes lard) and flour, and cooked on a griddle. Special tools are available for lefse baking, including long wooden turning sticks and special rolling pins with deep grooves.



It was HOT, and I had brought squirt bottles to the parade for the boys to play with. That turned into a squirt bottle fight between the two of them and they ended up taking off their shirts.




(I've eaten a lot of lefse in my day!). And based on the amount of sugar I put on the lefse, it was impossible for Prior and Mason not to love it!


After the parade and eating all that we needed wanted to, the boys went for a quick ride on Pokey Pete. Pokey Pete is legendary. It's vintage. I have my mom locating some pictures of Cara and I riding in Pokey Pete, but it's the exact same train, 30 years later.












After a ride on Pokey Pete (thankfully, they were not enforcing the "no-shirt, no-shoes, no-service" policy, we went to Grandpa Don's for a BBQ. We played basketball, jumped on the trampoline, ate popsicles, and hung out with family.



The door handle on the porch door was kind of high and this was just easier than waiting for someone to open the door.




The boys were so tired when we jumped in the car and headed north. Here's a video. The fake-crying mid way through the video is when we turned off the DVD. It's hilarious watching them try to stay awake!


Sleepy Boys from K Schultes on Vimeo.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...