Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Another Guest Post…

This time from Grandma Julie! This is her “attempt at blogging” as she called it after we spent the weekend in Decorah in October. I think it is much more than an attempt – it is perfect!

A side note before the official blog post. For those of you that don’t know, it is my mother’s side of the family with the talent for writing. My grandfather, Joseph Frazier Wall (1920 – 1995), was an American historian and professor of history at Grinnell College. His biography of Andrew Carnegie won the Bancroft Prize in 1971, and he was later nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for his biography on the Du Pont family.

“Being a grandma is the greatest joy in the world!” That is what friends and acquaintances would tell me B.G. (Before Grandchildren). I have to admit that I was rather skeptical especially since being a mom has been the best ride ever. But when I first laid eyes on Prior and Mason the night they were born, I became a believer. It was love at first sight. In their early months, I cherished the holding and cuddling marathons without worrying about laundry, house cleaning, meals, school work or other obligations which always gnawed at me when Kristin and Cara were babies. I could just enjoy these boys.

Now I am enthralled to watch Prior and Mason explore their world by crawling, pulling themselves up, and exploring themselves through manipulating toys and making amazing sounds. Their smiles would melt anyone’s heart. I love reading to them and I appreciate their attention (the attention that is often lacking from my students). At this point the highlight of my time with them, besides feeding them pears and sweet potatoes, is singing to them. They seem totally captivated no matter how hungry or tired or missing mom/dad they might be. It’s very ironic if you’ve ever endured my singing voice. I have sung about hundreds and hundreds of monkeys jumping on the bed ( their favorite), “I love you Conrad” from Bye-Bye Birdie (replace Conrad with Prior or Mason) and “I’ve Told Every Little Star”, but I have also added “Wheels on the Bus” and “Apples and Bananas” to my repertoire. And I can guarantee that Judy Garland in Wizard of Oz, Janis Joplin at Woodstock or Carrie Underwood on American Idol never got the thrill from an audience as I have singing to my grandsons.

Prior and Mason are very good and happy little boys. That is an unbiased statement. Their Great Grandma Bea says they are so good and happy because their mom and dad are such caring and loving parents. That is also a true unbiased statement. So thank you Ben and Kristin for the greatest gift times two. Yes, being a grandma is the greatest joy in the world.

Love, Grandma Julie

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...