Sunday, May 16, 2010

4 Bananas




I did not win any mother-of-the-year awards this Mother's Day! On Sunday morning, the boys had breakfast and I ate brunch a bit later. We then took our time packing up the bus, spent some time with Grandma and then some time with Grandpa, too, before we got in the car to head back home. (Dad was in New Orleans). The boys instantly fell asleep in the car. I didn't want to stop, but was feeling a bit sleepy so we stopped at Kwik Star so I could get something to drink. [At this point, the thought of lunch had not even crossed my mind.] 

Shortly after stopping, the boys woke up. They started yelling from the back seat. 

Not crying, yelling. 

I then realized it was because it was 2:00 and I had completely forgotten to feed my children lunch. Not only had I forgotten to feed them lunch, I had failed to plan for eating lunch on the road.

Noi asked me if I had crackers, cheerios, anything!?! I had nothing. 

But wait! I did have something. I had just (luckily, but not purposefully) purchased bananas at Kwik Star. So Noi crawled in the backseat with the intention of feeding the boys a banana to hold them over until we were home.

The first banana was gone in a matter of seconds.

She peeled the next. That one was gone just as fast as the first. 

Noi crawled back up to the front seat. Surely two bananas (one banana each) was plenty to last until we made it home. 

But the "Mom I'm still starving" yelling continued from the back seat. I hesitated, but decided Noi would crawl back into the backseat and give them just one more banana. Only that one final banana turned into yet another.

FOUR.

These boys ate four bananas in only a matter of minutes! Impressive!

The next thoughts to go through my mind included: 1) when is the next time I will possibly see a dirty diaper? and 2) visions of the amount of food we'll go through once these boys are in high school (or pre-school, for that matter).

Boys: I promise to be a better mom next time we go on a road trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...